The Valentine's Day event works different from events in the past. In order to complete the requirements, Phases must be accomplished in order. There are a total of 4 phases. Each phase will have unique Resources that can only be found during that specific Phase. The resources are awarded when couples are matched. It's similar to the classic memory/match card game, except the tiles are moving around.
You use one energy zap per match attempt. That is one zap is used when you click on the first card-bubble. The card spins around showing you a picture of a shoe, sun, star, strawberry, apple, a ribbon or a present box. You have exactly 5 seconds to click on a second bubble (for free) attempting a match. eg: shoe with shoe, sun with sun, etc. If you make a match, both cards combine to make a resource (depending which phase you're on). If they don't match, both cards spin back after exactly 1 second. If you don't click a second bubble within 5 seconds of the first, the first card spins back and the next bubble costs you another zap starting another match attempt.
When you complete every match of that wave you receive a "Valentine" resource and 3 energy zaps. You also receive about 1.5 extra "Valentine"'s on average per wave. Someone suggested you get "Valentine"'s randomly, but it is always 1 for finishing a wave, and I have a feeling you also get 1 for doing 3 successful matches in a row (not counting the last pair of a wave).(2)
Note There appears to be no way to collect Hearts, Cocktails, or Kisses once you move past the phase in which they are offered (other than buying them with Piastres), so if you want a 2nd or 3rd of the Valentine's buildings requiring those resources, you should collect all of the resources for them before placing the first of each building and moving to the next phase.
- Build Cupid's Fountain ($50k monument) (This must be built before the "Hearts" bubbles will appear)
- Collect 50 "Hearts". Will be awarded one heart for each couple matched. "Hearts" can ONLY be found during this phase. 8 total people presented for 4 couple matches each wave.
- Collect 5 "Valentines". Are awarded randomly when couples are matched.
- Once 50 "Hearts" and 5 "Valentines" have been collected, you can now build the Terrace of Dating.
- Build the Terrace of Dating (The moment construction is started the "Hearts" bubbles stop. When construction is complete the "Cocktails" bubbles appear)(1)
- Collect 75 "Cocktails". Will be awarded one Cocktail for each couple matched. "Cocktails" can ONLY be found during this phase. 10 total people presented for 5 couple matches each wave.
- Collect 10 "Valentines". Are awarded randomly when couples are matched.
- Once 75 "Cocktails" and 10 "Valentines" have been collected, you can now build the Hotel of Love.
- Build the Hotel of Love (The moment construction is started the "Cocktails" bubbles stop. When construction is completed the "Kisses" bubbles appear)(1)
- Collect 125 "Kisses". Will be awarded 1 kiss for each couple matched. "Kisses" can only be collected during this phase. 12 total people presented for 6 total couple matches each wave.
- Collect 15 "Valentines". Are awarded randomly when couples are matched.
- Once 125 "Kisses" and 15 "Valentines" have been collected, you can now build the Wedding Gazebo.
- Build the Wedding Gazebo (The moment construction is started the "Kisses" bubbles stop. When construction is completed the "Rings" bubbles appear)(1)
- Collect 150 "Rings". Will be awarded 1 Ring for each couple matched. "Rings" can only be collected during this phase. 14 total people presented for 7 total couple matches each wave.
- Collect 20 "Valentines". Are awarded randomly when couples are matched.
- Once 150 Rings and 20 Valentines have been collected, you can now build the Magic Castle
- When the Magic Castle is complete you receive the Cupid's substitute Award.
- Unlike the other phases - during construction and after construction is complete, the 14 star-struck lovers to match up continue to replenish for the remainder of the 120 hour event. You can continue to match them up to buy the Fountain of Dating or Fountain of Trysts and to complete the Romantic, Loving, and Wedding Planner Awards. Or ignore them.
Tips and Tricks:
- Always match a boy and a girl to improve your odds. (There are no gay/lesbian matches, sorry)
- It is easier to keep track of them when the rest of the beach walkers have departed on the ship. Trying to track of the 8-14 people with 20 others mingling with them is much more difficult.
- Write down what the people are wearing and what card they are carrying while flipping so you can keep track better while they race around the beach.
- Don't start a round without having enough energy to flip everything. Nothing sucks more than knowing where the last few matches are but not having the energy to flip them.
- If you are particularly bad at this, have a friend (or several) help track which people are which item after you flip them. If you let them concentrate on the first few you people you flip, they can keep track of where they are and tell you where to flip when you find the matching person.
- If you go to a friend's island or quit the game, when you return you will have a new wave. Since the fewer people there are to choose from, the easier they are to match, and since you receive 1 x "Valentine" and 3 x Energy Zaps for completing a wave, if you've got 6 of your 7 Ring pairs for example with 1 pair left but you ran out of zaps, hold off on visiting a friend until you can match that last pair or else miss out on the bonus zaps and resources.
- To get the Romantic and Loveable Awards (collect 600 and collect 1000 resources) it is much much easier if you collect an extra 400 to 500 Hearts on Phase 1 before you start construction of the Terrace, because once you finish the Magic Castle you will have collected only 500-550 resources, and it is very much easier and quicker with a fraction of the number of zaps to collect hearts than it is to collect rings. However for the Wedding Planner Award you need an additional 350 rings and if you want to build either the Fountain of Dating or Fountain of Trysts you need rings also, so choose your own strategy.
- You will have many "Valentines" left over. You can use them to build Lovers' Pools and Loving Hearts. If you haven't completed your Monuments Awards you can build these costing you zero $ (although they cost a lot to demolish). The Loving Hearts are handy to fill in your myriad of 2x2 dead spaces.
- You can build a 2nd and 3rd Cupid's Fountain at any time during the event if you wish.
- Note of Interest: The horny beach-walkers (Valentine's bubble-heads) will not walk onto your land, but even on they beach they still will not cross your road. Rather they will walk all the way around the road and cut across through the pier or over the Helipad (Region 6+). They will blatantly walk across your Helipad even when a helicopter is taking off or landing rather than cross your beach road.
- (1) Instead of waiting 20 + 8 + 12 hours for these structure to complete and moving on to the next matching stage, they are very cheap to complete instantly (2 x 50% Speed Ups)
- (2) You always receive 1 "Valentine" for finishing a wave but overall on average you receive about 2.5 per wave. The extra 1.5 you get seems to me for doing 3 successful matches in a row (not counting the last pair of a wave)(Or maybe the extras are just random but that's the way it felt - when I got lucky with consecutive matches I got a warm feeling inside, and I seem to think I saw some "Valentine"'s about the same time. I wish I tested this on Phase 1 or 2. Simple to test on an early phase. Just click all the guys in a row, note which is which, then when you click on a girl you know exactly where her match is and you can do all 4 in a row on Phase 1, all 5 in a row on Phase 2.) Even if you only received the minimum 1 "Valentine" per wave and even if you completed every single wave you started, you will receive automatically the required number to complete each phase and the event. The excess can only be used to buy monuments and you get far more bonus ones by chance (whether totally random or just matching pairs consecutively as you go) than you could ever want, so there's no need to make any effort to get extra "Valentines".
- Getting a lot of reports of game instability. Crashes are causing loss of progress and in some cases the entire event is disappearing. We cannot help you in this case, contact the developer: http://support.game-insight.com/pian/